Monday 16 June 2008

Half of a Book Report


So I read half of a book and thought I would share what I got out of it. I read Utiltity Reassessed: The Role of Ethics in the Practice of Design. I thought it was going to be entirely different - I thought it was going to be about Ethics... but it wasn't, it was about Utility Schemes and rationing by the government, focusing on war-time Britain. For that topic it was really good... There was one paper that I enjoyed the most and that was about the idea that consumerism as we know it was created quite deliberately by post-WW1 manufacturers. Makes me wonder if we can deliberately take it back, to turn people back into citizens instead of consumers, because we're not going to be able shop our way out of what we are in the middle of. All in all, very interesting, and I'm glad I picked it up.

No comments: